Sunday, July 11, 2010

We went to the zoo, zoo, zoo

I am not sure how many people will get the reference to that title. It comes from an old children's song, "We're Going to the Zoo." Very catchy little tune:-)

So, indeed we did visit the zoo this past week. We went with Craig's cousin Clin and his family as part of our holiday festivities. It was very hot, and I don't like all the hills our zoo has, but it was still fun to spend time with family and enjoy watching the animals (two of my favorite past times, as I am sure you all know).

Here's a funny story. I had brought my big camera with me because I could use my long telephoto lens, which is very useful in taking photos of animals who are fairly far from where I am at. I guess people thought I was there working on a project, because people kept asking me if I was a professional, and what I was working on. Apparently lots of people have "big, fancy cameras", but very few have a telephoto lens. Go figure. At one point a couple stopped me and asked me all sorts of questions about photography and cameras and such. I was more than happy to share what I knew, since photography is also a favorite past time;-)

Despite what people say about my "big fancy camera", I was actually wishing for an upgrade. I was using an older model, which has only 6mp, and is terrible in low light. Way to much noise. Still, I made it work for me, and I got a few nice images to remember my visit.


Love these cute kids!


Madison LOVED the little kitties. She wanted to pet all of them. Can you blame her?

I don't often use direct flash, but it really helped bring out this guys iridescent feathers.

So stinkin' cute!!


I wish our pigeons were this pretty. Then I might not be quite so annoyed by them.

Squirrel! There were a few of these just randomly running around the zoo. And everyone had to stop and check them out, lol.

Zuri! She is almost a year old, but such a cute baby! I am not sure I have ever seen a baby elephant in person before.

My boy. Love him!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I know that song!

By the way, don't you wish you had business cards to pass out to all those people admiring your professional camera?

Sarah Stiles said...

Jenny, I usually do have my business cards with me, but I had left my purse at home that day. Oops.