Friday, December 18, 2009

Icing on Top

How about a cheerier topic? My life is not all dark and bleak as some might think. We do have some happier moments around here as well (it is what keeps me thinking positive). And what better topic is there to talk about than cake? Well, okay, photography, of course. But that is why I have a whole separate blog for that!

Once upon a time, I was really big into cake decorating. LOVED it. Except the clean up. HATED that part. All those little icing tips. Yuck. Anyway, I stopped doing ti for a couple of reasons. First, we moved into a teeny tiny apartment. You need LOTS of space when you do cakes, especially large orders like wedding cakes. We had cakes everywhere. It was too much for us. Secondly, I found that the more cakes I did, the more my hands started to hurt. Like really hurt. They would cramp up so bad, I couldn't even uncurl them from around the icing bags. Found out I was starting to develop a little arthritis.

I still do some smaller cakes for special occasions, like birthdays, anniversaries, the occasional holiday. Or when I teach a class on cake decorating.

My mom teaches Home Ec (it's not actually called that anymore, but the new big long fancy name is too hard to remember) at Bryant Middle School in SLC. Since the beginning of the year, we planned on having me go in to teach the 8th graders how to decorate cakes. The plan was for me to demonstrate how to decorate the cake one day, then have the kids do their own little cupcakes the next.

The morning I was supposed to go in for the demonstration we had a NASTY snow storm. The roads were terrible, and it took me nearly two hours to drive to the school. I completely missed the first period class:-( But, I was in time for the Second period. The demonstration went great! The kids loved the little "gingerbread" people (I hate actual gingerbread, so I used chocolate sugar cookies). The cake was covered in gumdrops, sprinkles, cookies, and candycanes. Yumm!

The next day, the first period did get to decorate their cupcakes, then proceeded to have a food fight in the hallways after class. I was so ticked off! My mom and I stayed up past midnight two night in a row trying to finish all the cupcakes and icing. My mom had their cooking privileges revoked for the remainder of the year. But I still went in the next day to make up for the morning I missed. They were a rowdy class. People who teach middle school are either very brave, or very insane. Maybe a little of both.

At any rate, the cakes turned out great, and the teachers enjoyed it (I gave the first cake tot he faculty, but kept the second for myself). Funny thing about cake: I love to decorate it, but I don't like to eat it much. The cake was only a 6 in cake, but we didn't finish it all. We are just not cake eaters. Sad, I know. But here is my cute little Christmas cake in all it glory!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

That's a REALLY cute cake! Good job!