Friday, July 03, 2009

And now Feathers!

As if our home wasn't already a menagerie, lol

I was out walking Orion a couple nights ago, and we found a little orphaned duckling running around in the street. Of course I could not just leave her there! I brought her home, and have been taking care of her since. We name her Lily (and yes, she is a girl!).

This is not my first experience raising a duckling. Some of you may remember my beloved little duck, Mira (MY-RA), who was my little miracle, sent from my Heavenly Father to save my life. Long story.

Anyway, the big difference with raising this duckling is that now I have a cat, a dog, and a little boy. Cameron just wants to hold the duckling all the time, but the cat and dog would rather just have her as a snack.

I spent the better part of yesterday with Orion and Lily together in the same room. My goal is to completely suppress Orion's natural instinct to attack the duckling. It has actually been going quite well. They were to the point yesterday where they were napping together side-by-side. At one point Lily even hopped up Orion's nose! But I have to keep at it every day, so that Orion always knows that he is NOT allowed to go into predator mode.

The cat is a little harder to work with, but we have been making progress with him, too.

Okay, I know you are all just dying to see some pics of her!

No comments: