Friday, June 19, 2009

Adventures at Wheeler Farm

Cameron and I were invited to go to Wheeler Farm in SLC with some friends. Cameron was soo excited! He has not seen his friend Ethan since we moved more than 6 months ago, so this was a very special treat. And I was happy to see Ethan's mom, Veronica again:-)Veronica

Ethan and Cameron


For those that have not been to Wheeler Farm, it is a great place. There are lots of animals - horses, cows, chicken, rabbits, geese - as well as other fun things. It is also very scenic, and a popular spot for photographers.

Veronica had brought along another friend, Brandy, and her children. It was so much fun for the kids to run around, and such a beautiful day. I think their favorite was playing in the tree house and on the old tractor. Cameron enjoyed riding the little pony:-)
Yes, he STILL has that old sword! A hero is only as good as his sword, after all:-)




We did have one scary moment. We decided to have a little lunch, and Brandy headed to her car to get some food, while Veronica and I watched the kids and found a place to sit. After a few minutes, Veronica suddenly realized that one of the children was missing! I told her I thought I saw him following his mom to the parking lot, but when Brandy returned, little Andrew was not with her.

A frantic search for the little boy ensued. It was very busy, with many families and children around, making the search a little more challenging, but what really had everyone worried is that the river that runs though the farm was running very high and fast due to all the rain we have had. Andrew had been playing near the water earlier, and everyone's first thought was that he had fallen in.

Within moments, other moms had stopped what they were doing to join in the search. Farm helpers went into action, and everyone rallied to find the lost boy. Fortunately, he was found soon after, wandering the parking lot. As I had thought, he had followed his mom out to the parking lot, but she never noticed he was there.

Afterward, many moms came to share their relief that he had been found. Many had tears in their eyes. Even though they did not know the child, they still felt the sense of dread of losing a child, and the ultimate relief of finding him again. Moms can be very protective of their own children, but can also be very protective of other children as well. It is God's gift to us to feel so much empathy towards others, one I am very grateful for.

The funny thing is that Andrew really had no idea what all the fuss was about! All he knew is that his mom and every other woman on the farm was crying and making a fuss over him, which I think scared him more than anything else. It was good I was there, as well, to help keep the other kids calm and their minds preoccupied with other random things. They had started to pick up on the sense of panic, and were very worried, so I helped to calm them down.

Aside from that harrowing experience, i think we all enjoyed ourselves. The kids had fun running around and playing, and us women enjoyed chatting. It was something we all needed. By the time I got home, the day had definitely caught up to me, and I completely crashed. I slept for several hours! An exhausting day, indeed!

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Hey what's the deal with that last pic I took? Looks all grainy and out of focus. Sorry about that. What a day! I LOVE that pic of the boys. Can you send me a copy of that one? You take some amazing ones!

Sarah Stiles said...

I think I am having some focusing issues with my camera. I have been having that problem as well, and I am generally pretty good at focusing, lol. I will send you some of the pics I took:-)