Monday, April 23, 2012

Running

Last year, my big bro, Bill, impressed me when he ran a marathon.  Bill has always been pretty athletic.  Back when he was in college he biked all the way from Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska.  I guess running a marathon shouldn't have really surprised me.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I always thought, "That would be cool.  That would be a big accomplishment.".  The problem is, I HATE running.  I mean, I REALLY HATE running.  It is monotonous, and the constant pounding of my feet on the ground is jarring.  I can think of so many more fun ways to get exercise.  But then, I am not doing any of those, either!

My dad tried to convince the family to run in a marathon.  I blew it off at first, but then everyone started talking about it, and before we knew we had set a plan in motion for all of us to start our own training programs.  I am not so ambitious (or anywhere near fit enough!) to run a full marathon, but I think it would be awesome to run a half marathon.  That is still a little over 13 miles, which is quite a distance.

So, my first day out running, I did all the right stretches, drank some water, put on my brand new special running shoes, and brought my running buddy - my little dachshund, Orion.  I was ready to go!  And. . .I barely made it 1/8 mile.  I felt so deflated!  No literally, I felt like I had no breath left in me, and I was pretty sure someone had just tried to stick a scouring brush down my throat.  My tiny little dog looked at me in embarrassment as he sat idly by.  I think I was such a disappointment to him.

Not to be discouraged, I kept at it.  By the end of a week, I was going a little over 1/2 mile, so I was making progress.  I didn't want to push too much, because I have heard that can cause problems later.  Still, I was pleased with where I was headed.

Within a few weeks, I had finally reached that 1 mile goal.  Woot!!  The last time I ran a full mile (without stopping), was when I was in high school, and even then I was really pushing myself.  So this felt AWESOME!  I wanted to jump up and down and shout my success to the whole neighborhood.  Except I couldn't because I was completely out of breath and trying hard not to puke all over my front lawn.

After that, I started pushing myself just a bit harder, and very shortly i was doing about 1.5 mi - further than I have ever run before!  Then the weather turned nasty (it does that in the spring), and I was not able to get out.  I tried keeping up my strength and stamina by hopping on the stationary bike.  That helped, but I wasn't very consistent.  When I was finally able to go out running again, I was back down to running only a mile.  Bummer!

The good news is that it hasn't been so long that my body has forgotten everything.  Today's run was only a mile, but it was an easy mile.  I felt like I could have gone much farther.  I was barely out of breath, and I was feeling pretty good.

There are some other benefits of running.  Aside from some serious calf muscles (nice!), I have noticed that my circulation has improved significantly.  All through the winter, I had trouble sleeping because no matter what position was I lying in, my arms would fall asleep.  Totally numb from shoulders to fingertips.  It felt really weird.  Since running, I have not had that problem at all, which has been very nice:-)

I can't say I have any more energy that before.  I suffer from chronic fatigue, and so far it seems no matter what i do, that will never really change.  However, I think I have noticed fewer migraines, which is really the best bonus of all.

So, I am planning to run a half marathon some time this fall, in either September or October.  A lot of my other family members will be joining me as well, so we will be running together.  Hopefully we will all be able to cross that finish line!

No comments: