Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I hate being broke

Whoever said money can't buy happiness was obviously never flat broke and jobless. Maybe money can't buy happiness itself, but it sure can make life easier.

It has been over 3 months since Craig and I have worked. We have both put in applications and resumes EVERYWHERE. We have thought outside the box and applied for jobs we never would have thought of before. And yet, the phones are eerily silent. When we do get interviews, we never hear back.

Meanwhile, the bills are piling up, and the collectors call on a daily basis. I agonize over even the smallest purchases, wondering if what I want is really worth it, or if maybe I could get by without it. It is almost physically painful to know we have so much debt over our heads, and no way to pay it off. For some reason the collectors do not understand that sine we are JOBLESS, we can't pay them. And even more weird is how they have special payment programs for people who are working, but for people who are out of work, no such luck. Does that make any sense to you?

We are doing the best we can to get by, day by day. I have had a few more sessions this month, which has been nice, but also some cancellations, which is sad. People just aren't willing to pay money for quality photos, I guess.

The very saddest thing about our financial situation is not being able to take Cameron to Disneyland next month for his birthday. Since he was a baby, I always thought it would be really fun to take him to Disneyland on his 5th birthday. Then they came out with the free birthday pass, which was even better! But, there is just no way we can afford a trip like that right now, even with his free pass. Thinking about it makes me want to cry.

I really and truly hate how so many of the fun things we plan, or things we want, or even need, are centered around whether we have money in our bank account. Day to day living becomes almost unbearable when you know you will have a hard time just putting food on the table, and keeping that roof over your head.

4 comments:

Janae said...

Sarah that is so frustrating! I am sorry that you are both out a job. Hopefully something comes up soon and you can take Cameron to Disneyland-even if it is late.


Travis' job has a few openings.

http://www.spillman.com/Careers/01_Current_Openings.php

I have no idea if this anything either of you could do, but you can check it out.

Veronica said...

Aside from the unemployment thing (thank goodness) I think I could have written this post!! Just last night Cody and I had a cry fest about money...or the lack thereof. I am with you! BTW, thanks for keeping real ;)

Sarah Stiles said...

Janae, thanks for the link, we will check it out!

Veronica, I think so many people are struggling right now. In some ways that makes it a little more endurable. Still, I have NO IDEA how anybody could have survived the Great Depression. Ugh!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,
I understand where you are coming from...my husband has been in and out of job. With Company shutting downsizing,salary cut, frozen merit increase, no overtime. It is stressful..His new job is a min wage job with commision :(... ((thats all there is out there)) all commision jobs!! My paychecks is a joke...
we have to manage how we live to be broke...no dinners, no movies or vacation. I can't tell you when it was the last time we had a vacation..as a fammily (never) When he gets a job and everything looks promising we catch on our bills..then it folds again. I hate money! I hate being broke...we cant go back to school because we work full time and work part time cleaning foreclosure homes...But we have each other..even though our savings are dry and 401k has decreased (alot) I have to face we will never be a middle class family. Can you tell me what classfies a middle class family these days? We have a home..(mort and car payments) but thats it! No extra money for nothing..and we have not made our mort payment this month.
My daughters' birthday is in two weeks and I'm stressing on what to buy her and now christmas is just around the corner.
But life goes on...Lets talk about be depress.