Sunday, February 10, 2008

BEWARE OF SCAMMERS!!!!

For a long time Craig and I have discussed off and on about getting Cameron into modeling/acting. Nothing big, just something to help add to his college fund, and maybe get him interested in something more than videogames. Cameron has such a laid back personality and is very easy to work with. And he's cute;-)

Well, we found one agency (TRU Talent Management) that we thought was great. At first. They seemed ligit (had good standing with BBB), and everything seemed to be in order, so we signed a contract with them. BAD IDEA! ALWAYS do your research, and be sure it's thorough!

Only two days after signing the contract, Cameron was scheduled of a photoshoot. Now, I am a professional photographer, and I feel perfectly capable of doing all my own photos and editing. So when we went in, I explained that to them. They normally have a policy that states that only THEY can do the photos, editing, etc. I told them that if they were not willing to work with me, I would go elsewhere. So they decided to let me do the photos, but were not willing to renegotiate the contract. I told them I needed to think about it a little more and talk it over with Craig, and they said that would be okay.

Two days later I called to tell them we would not be interested in their services, and wanted to cancel the contract. They told me no, that I only had 48 hours to cancel form the time I signed (a point they failed to mention, and which was not written on the contract), and demanded ALL FUNDS IMMEDIATELY! Yikes! Of course, we are furious, and will be taking legal action. How can a company demand payment when no services were provided? Such a scam! Rule #1: IF YOU HAVE TO PAY MONEY TO GET MONEY, IT'S A SCAM!!! That seems pretty obvious, but these people were pretty sneaky. They are duping a lot of people. I want to put a stop to it!

However, this has not spoiled us on the idea of getting Cameron into acting/modeling. We just need to find a GOOD agency. Meanwhile, I am building up Cameron's portfolio. Here are some photos we have done in the last couple days.

3 comments:

Bryan said...

I think Cameron already has more pictures of him than I've had taken of me in my whole life.

Sarah Stiles said...

And yet, Aubrey has far more!

rmm57 said...

Stile Family,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with Tru Talent. They roped my naive college-age daughter into a contract and now we are trying to fight it. Have you had any success with your actions against them? I am using everything in my power including filing with the BBB, Utah Consumer Protection Agency, and the State Attorney Generals Office. If you feel you could impart anything to me, let me know and I'll give you my email or phone#. Thanks.