Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Thoughts on Food

I have noticed lately an increase in the interest of food. People have become quite obsessive about it. They don't just eat it. They talk about it. They blog about it. And they take pictures of it. It seems so odd to me.

Am I the only one that doesn't care about food? I mean, I like to eat. I am not anorexic or anything. But I don't obsess about it. I can cook pretty decent meals (so says my husband), but I don't LIKE to cook. In fact, I hate cooking. I hate having to sit and plan out a meal, gather all the ingredients, and spend an hour or more in the kitchen putting it all together. Simple is good. If I can't put a meal together in under 30 minutes, it isn't worth eating.

And here is another thing. What is this whole deal with "nutrients"? Have you walked through the aisles of the grocery store lately? EVERYTHING has added nutrients. Vitamins of all kinds have been added to our foods, like cereal, margarine, meat, milk. Pick up any one of those products and read the ingredients. There is an insanely long list of stuff you can't pronounce, and a few "real" things. Or sometimes, they are not even real. I see a lot of "artificial" these days. Even my pet food. I recently went to a local supermarket to look for the best pet food, one in which at least the first three ingredients were protein. But there is a whole lot of corn in those foods. For those not in the know, corn is a filler. It is difficult to digest, and holds little nutritional value, except as a starch, which can be sometimes good, but bad if you eat too much of it.

I think food is such a big part of our lives because we HAVE to have it. And since we have to have it, why not have a variety? For people that cook, kudos to you. Keep on cooking, especially for those of us that hate it, lol. But cook good, wholesome foods. Take the fake crap out of your diet. Grow a garden.

I like what Michael Pollan has to say about food: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

If we are going to obsess about food, at least lets do it in a healthy way.

1 comment:

The Plum Verbena said...

Interesting. I love to cook! I love to plan my meals. And try new things. I figure if we have to eat it might as well be good. But, we eat pretty healthy as well. I don't take pictures of my food though :) Even though I have a cooking blog....